If there is one thing I can tell you about my roast chicken recipes, it's this: do not be afraid to innovate. If you don't have something leave it out...unless it's the chicken. Especially if it's fresh herbs to stuff the thing - you don't have to put ANYTHING inside the chicken.
Fun fact: I've forgotten to remove the giblets before, still in their little bag.
Whole (Air-Chilled, Organic) Chicken
Assortment of Vegetables
½ Cup Water
To Stuff the Cavity
1 Handful Fresh Parsley
2 teaspoons Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
1 teaspoon Basil
1 teaspoon Oregano
1 teaspoon Parsley
½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
Drizzle on Top
Juice of 1 lemon
2 Tablespoons of Avocado Oil
2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- Preheat oven to 425F
- If the chicken has a bag of giblets, please remove & discard
- Drain all excess fluid from the cavity
- Rinse chicken thoroughly & pat dry with paper towels
- Place your fresh herbs & lemon inside of the chicken cavity.
- Place roughly chopped, assorted vegetables into bottom of roasting pan with your ½ cup of water. I use a 12” cake pan & onions/mushrooms. The vegetables will act as a rack for your chicken so don’t dice them too small.
- Drizzle the lemon and avocado oil on top of the chicken.
- Mix the Pre-Rub & coat your chicken with it. If you do this in the roasting pan, any spice that doesn’t stick to the chicken will fall to your vegetables - this is important.
- Place the chicken, breast down, on top of the vegetables.
- Now mix the final dressing and sprinkle it over your chicken.
- Roast for ~1 ½ hours, basting 2-4x throughout. Thigh temperature should be at 165F
- Pull the chicken from the oven & allow it to rest for 5 minutes before cutting into it!
- Serve with your assorted veggies
Note: Save the fat & juices from the bottom. Saute ANYTHING in them - it will taste like heaven.