Before eating Paleo or Whole30 compliant, I could have never pictured a casserole sans cheese. I still have a hard time finding a recipe for one without it. I've found that adding shredded carrot to a recipe that you think needs cheese, well, it plays a trick on your mind. The shredded carrots resemble cheese & if cooked enough, they even feel like it in a casserole. I threw this recipe together on a whim, with what I had in my cabinets. Don't be afraid to experiment - that's what it's all about. I try to write my recipes in a way that will allow you to put your own spin on things! So do not be afraid, if it goes horribly wrong, just remember food is sustenance. Swallow until you're full & try, try again!
Fun fact: I can make a recipe out of nothing & I can make it taste pretty damn good. However, take me to a Mongolian Barbecue & whatever I make always tastes like I scooped it up with a shovel from the pasture.
1 spaghetti squash - halved & seeded
1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
3/4 cup shredded onion (approximately 1/2 of a large onion)
2 T. olive oil
1 lb. ground turkey
1 t. salt
3 cloves of minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Rub a tiny bit of oil on your halved spaghetti squash & place your two pieces, flat side down, on a baking pan.
- Sprinkle a splash of water in your pan & place it into the oven for 40 minutes (set your timer).
- While your squash cooks, place your carrots & onions into a saute pan with 1 T. of your olive oil.
- Cook your veggies on med-high for ~10 minutes (your onions should be translucent).
- Throw your veggies into a casserole dish & place your turkey into the now empty saute pan.
- Cook turkey, but don't brown it.
- Drain cooked turkey & then mix the garlic, tomato paste & salt with it.
- Now mix your turkey concoction with your veggies in the casserole dish.
- Shred your spaghetti squash out of its' shell with a fork & mix it with the rest of the deliciousness in the casserole dish along with the broth.
- Place your mixed casserole into the already heated 375 F oven for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the top with a mild herb such as parsley, italian seasoning or dill & ENJOY!